Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Healthy Choice Challenge

I know how hard it is to make yourself get up and go to the gym, I hate going to the gym. But once I get there and start my workout I always feel much better about myself. Right now I have just finished my second year of college, they say that your freshmen year you will gain the freshman 15. Well I never did, I never gained any weight after high school. I know I know, you are all thinking why would she tell us this and make us feel bad for gaining weight.

Well in high school I was an athlete, I was very involved and busy often. Like most high schoolers I ate whatever I wanted and it never made me fat. Well when I came to college I never gained any weight but I lost something, all of my muscle. I lost it and I gained a bunch of fat. I went from running everyday to walking around a small campus and sitting in front of the computer or TV most of my time.

So I never gained the freshmen 15 but I defintely had to by bigger jeans after my first year of college. I wouldn't say I'm fat, I am a healthy girl. But in Janurary I was unhappy with my body, I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath. I am 20 years old and I could barely make it across campus without passing out from exhaustion. So I decided to do something about it.

I did the hardest thing I've done since college, I gave up sweet tea. I know, its crazy right. I stopped having sweet tea with every meal and I started drinking water like it was going out of style. I got an App on my phone, its called Livestrong. (www.livestrong.com) I started tracking my food on a daily basis and I started working out again. I took small steps, riding the bike every day for 20 minutes, to doing the elliptical every day for 30 minutes. Now I do strength training again, lifting weights, I ride the bike, do the stair climber, walk on the track. And the best part is my jeans are too big now. I've lost 15 lbs in about 5 months. I feel great now and I am continuing this healthy lifestyle by working out a few times a week, taking my lunch to work everyday and not going out to eat, making dinner every night that is healthier, and I have a partner to push me in this challenge.

Having someone who makes you accountable for your food choices, drink choices, and lifestyle choices makes all the difference. My boyfriend is my encourager, coach, bully, and taste tester. We make each other push ourselves and it makes all the difference. It doesn't have to be a significant other to be your partner in this, but if you have someone who you can be 100% honest with it helps. You need to be able to talk about what you want to change and how you want to improve your life.


So today I am challenging you to make one healthy choice. Just one choice, drink one less pop a day and have water instead. America is so obese and the children of America are suffering because of it. I am starting a weekly healthy choice challenge. Just one change a week and lets see where we are at the end of the summer. So make a healthy choice today and start changing your life.


Good luck!



I am linking up to these parties

No comments:

Post a Comment